Leadership Committee Minutes
February 14, 2018
4:00pm, BPO Office
Location: Binghamton Philharmonic Orchestra, 71 State Street, Binghamton, New York 13901
Board Members Present: Philip Cali, Corinne Farrell (via phone), Debbie Matsushima, Maureen Wilson
BPO Staff Members Present: Brittany Hall
The meeting was called to order by Brittany at 4:00 PM.
- Audit – It went well and will be finalized today. Brittany will look at the final numbers with Adam before sending to it in to the federal government.
- Pops on the River – Plans are proceeding smoothly with a tentative date set for the evening of June 23rd. Weather is an issue and BPO will explore the purchase of weather insurance. There’s also the possibility of holding the concert at the Arena in case of inclement weather. Assuming good weather, the concert will be held behind the Merrill Lynch building close to the river. However, the orchestra stage will be on solid ground, not in the river. There will be kayaks on the river and perhaps inner tubes will be available for river viewing. Re the musical program, a water theme is planned including a Pirates of the Caribbean medley with a finale featuring the 1812 Overture and fireworks. BPO is also looking into a $10,000 grant from the city to help defray costs of the concert.
- Chamber Award – Congratulations to BPO for receiving the Transformative Award from the Chamber of Commerce. It, among other things, stresses BPO brand awareness. Brittany was interviewed for an article which will appear in the Sunday Press and Sun-Bulletin (February 18, 2018).
- Union Negotiations are going well with the last session held on Friday, February 10th. While progress is rather slow, we’re moving in the right direction. Audition language has been completed and compensation wording is nearing closure.
- The 2018-19 Season is in the planning stages. Highlights (though not all are definite) include: participation in LUMA with minimal cost to BPO, Pops in the Park on July 4th, a Beatles Concert, Video Games Live Concert, Cirque Holiday Concert, Tessa Lark and Blue Grass Group in partnership with the Doubletree, 90’s Music Concert, an abbreviated Messiah coupled with another work, Carmina Burana, Highlights from Wagner’s Ring Cycle, and a Bach, Beethoven, Brahms concert.
- The 2018-19 Budget – Adam and Brittany will get together to work on next year’s budget. There is the possibility of building up the budget to a million dollars! We are currently in year three of a three-year budget. The good news is that we are almost in the black due to successful concerts and operations over the past few years. We will continue to promote Donor Gifts, and Visions wants to increase its sponsorship.
- The Launch Party for BPO’s new app will be held on Friday, March 2, 2018, from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM at 95 Court Street. Board members, donors, and business representatives will be invited. The news channels will also be informed of the event. The first 100 iPads with the app will be introduced at the Bernstein concert on March 17, 2018 for audience use. The app, which is a digital program book, will eventually be able to be downloaded onto personal cell phones.
- Nominating Committee Report – Various persons are being considered to replace two Board Members who will be leaving the Board at the end of this fiscal year.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:45 PM.
Philip A Cali, Secretary